Day 1 -- Shilin Night Market (Taipei, Taiwan)

12/18/2016 Sunday 

We arrived in Taoyuan International Airport in the morning and was picked up by Anthony's cousin. He sent us to Anthony's grandparents house in Taipei where we will be staying. We had breakfast and took a couple hours nap before venturing out for snacks. There are so many selections on drinks and the kids took a while to pick what they want.






Eventually, they picked a yogurt drink while I had the green tea latte. The tea that I had is from a very popular brand and most tourists will come and buy it. I never had it as it became popular only the last few years, so I had to try it. I didn't liked it too much as it has a very strong milk taste while I like a more diluted milk taste.


Later, we passed by the park on the way home and the kids played for a little bit.



We saw the creature below and didn't really know what it was. Thanks to my buddy John who googled it and told me that it was a moth caterpillar.


We went home for lunch and afterwards took the metro to Tianmu Sogo for dinner with Anthony's family. 

Although I was born in Taiwan, I left Taiwan when I was two years old to go to Singapore and spent 16 years there before coming to U.S. My parents took us back to Taiwan almost every summer when we were young but we always went to Tainan which is the south side of the island. I am actually quite unfamiliar in Taipei. Before our trip, I had to do some research on where to go in Taipei. I have to say that the Taipei metro is very easy to use. They also have brochures in different languages on where to go and free wifi although most of the time, their free wifi doesn't really work. I find the free wifi in the malls much better.




We took the metro to Zhishan station and walked for a couple of minutes before reaching Sogo Mall where we had our dinner.



With Anthony's family.


After dinner, we took the metro to Jiantan station to go to Shilin nigh market, which is the largest night market in Taipei. There is a map and signs in each metro station where it is easy to find where to go.




The night market was crowded with people and we walked around in search for snacks and the kids played a few games before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 16 -- Singapore

  6/24/2023 Saturday Itinerary: Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard Centre Hotel Food Republic 313 @ Somerset  Singapore Airlines SilverKris Busin...